Monday, November 4, 2013

Lean Ground Beef Burgers


Having just bought a new BBQ, I thought I’d make my own beef burgers. I usually make veggie burgers using a mixture of beans, oats, potatoes, mushrooms grated carrots and sweetcorn. However, I didn’t think the BBQ would be too impressed grilling vegetables for its debut! Unfortunately I didn’t have a juicy 16oz steak to hand so some lean ground beef had to suffice!

Beef burgers are so easy to make. Essentially all you need in ground beef. You just shape them into round patties and grill them. If you want to go a step further, you can add some chopped onion, garlic, spices and herbs – which all add to the flavor of the burgers. Parsley, basil, oregano are all ideal herbs. Cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder, cumin are all ideal spices. Use whatever is in your store cupboard.
I also like to add an egg to help bind the ingredients together and a small amount of oats to add a little more substance to each burger.

The recipe below makes three burgers (in relation to the nutritional information below) but you could stretch the ingredients into four by adding another 20g of oats and/or making slightly smaller burgers using your hands or a small burger press.

The burgers go great with coleslaw and a few mushrooms. I spread 1tbsp tomato paste mixed with 1-2tsp water – a much healthier alternative to ketchup (see previous post) – on a whole wheat bun instead of butter or margarine.

Lean Ground Beef Burgers
Makes 3
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients:
- 411g / 14.5oz ground beef (I use 93% lean)
- 84g / 3oz onion
- 1 egg
- 2tsp mustard (I use Dijon)
- 20g / 0.7oz oats (I use old fashioned)
- 1/2tsp basil
- 1/2tsp parsley
- 1/4tsp cayenne pepper
- Ground black pepper

Method:
In a bowl break up the ground beef.
Finely chop the onion and mix it into the beef.
Beat the egg and add it to the beef/onion mix.
Add the mustard, oats, herbs and spices to the bowl and mix together (use your hands to combine all ingredients if you prefer).

Place the burger mix into a burger press or shape into patties with your hands.
Spray each burger with cooking spray to help prevent sticking to the grill.

Heat the grill on a medium heat and cook the burgers for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until well done.

ENJOY!
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Nutritional Information:



























P.s. The burger photos below are ones I ate in restaurants. I have no idea how many calories I consumed during those meals but I ate every last bit! I had just raced in a sprint triathlon on both occasions so I guess you could say I earned it. They tasted delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment