Monday, November 25, 2013

Veggie Egg Tacos


Eggs are great for a quick and easy snack or light lunch meal. I'll happily eat eggs for breakfast and after working out. Throw in some vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, courgettes, spinach, onions, celery) and you can make a tasty omelette or scrambled egg taco.
When choosing whether to eat flour or corn tortillas, I am always consider the nutritional values of both, and usually opt for corn - I think they taste better for egg tacos!

I try to eat only one egg a day so that I watch my cholesterol levels. Although eggs are great sources of protein, they contain approx. 215mg of cholesterol, and 5g fat. More than one egg a day tends to push my cholesterol levels higher than the recommended daily allowance. I sometimes use one whole egg and the egg white from a second egg. However, I am reluctant to throw away the second yolk, due to food wastage and the fact that half of an egg’s protein is found in the yolk. The yolk also contains 240mg of the amino acid, leucine, which helps your body build muscles.

You can read more about eggs on the LIVESTRONG.com website as they are always discussing them. Another good comparison between eggs and egg whites is this infographic. Spoiler Alert! Whole eggs win!

Veggie Egg Tacos
Makes 2
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients:
- 56g / 2oz mushrooms
- 140g / 5oz courgette
- 200g / 7oz diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 2 eggs
- ground black pepper and/or paprika, to serve (optional)

Method:
Chop mushrooms and courgettes (I used my new julienne peeler on the courgette!) and cook in a pan, sprayed with cooking oil, for 3 minutes.

Add the diced tomatoes and cook for another few minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed.
Beat the eggs and add to the pan.

Once cooked, grind black pepper and/or sprinkle paprika on top, serve with warm tortillas or ENJOY as is!
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Nutritional Information:
N.B. nutritional info below is only for veggies and eggs. Add another 100 calories for your choice (and serving) of tortillas!


No comments:

Post a Comment