Sunday, November 10, 2013

Chocolate Mousse


I’ve talked about salads and spinach and now I want to write about chocolate! 

I eat chocolate everyday. There’s no way I could go without chocolate, or some kind of sugar, on a daily basis. 

I strive to be healthy and eat a balanced diet but sugar is my weakness. That said, I’ve tried to educate myself on sugar. I watched a great presentation on YouTube about sugar, by Dr Robert H. Lustig, a UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology. It’s amazing (and shocking) to hear just how BAD sugar is for the body. 

With the acceptance of not being able to go without chocolate, I prefer to eat dark chocolate and where possible, I eat good quality chocolate – high percentage of cocoa and natural ingredients. Just by reading the ingredients list on packaging, it is easy to get an idea of the quality of chocolate.

The price is also a good indication of quality. Generally, the more expensive the bar, the better quality of chocolate. As much as I’d like to eat good quality chocolate every day, I would soon bankrupt myself. Therefore, on a daily basis, I tend to eat cheaper brands.

If I make a chocolate dessert, I want it to be rich and chocolaty – obviously! – and therefore chocolate mousse and puddings are always fail safe options. The majority of chocolate mousse recipes contain chocolate, egg yolks, sugar and cream. My recipe below skips the indulgent cream and sugar ingredients and simply uses chocolate and eggs, with a little coffee or milk.

Chocolate Mousse
Makes 2

Ingredients:
80g / 3oz dark chocolate
2 eggs - separated
2tbsp strong coffee (optional) 2tbsp almond milk if not using coffee

Method:
Melt the chocolate in a bowl.
Add the coffee or milk.
Add the egg yolks one at a time and stir into the chocolate coffee mixture.
In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites into a hard foam (with stiff peaks) and then fold into the chocolate mixture.
Pour mixture into individual cups/bowls and refrigerate to set.
ENJOY!

Nutritional Information:

No comments:

Post a Comment