Friday, October 25, 2013

Turkey Chili


An alternative to minced/ground beef is turkey. My turkey chili recipe is really simple to make and tastes great – even if I do say so myself!
The basic ingredients are lean ground turkey (obviously), chopped onion, a can of kidney beans and a can of diced tomatoes. The spices are basic ones I always keep in my pantry. I usually like to add some green vegetables – e.g. kale, spinach, peas, courgette*, broccoli, celery.

Each batch varies depending on what I have in my fridge. The great thing about green vegetables are that they are all extremely nutritious, have similar amounts of calories per serving, very low in fat and have no cholesterol – check out the nutritional information below if you don’t believe me!

Turkey Chili
Makes 5 servings
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients:
- 560g / 20oz ground turkey (I use 93% lean)
- 120g / 4.3oz onion 
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 440g / 15.5oz / 1 can red kidney beans
- 411g / 14.5oz / 1 can diced tomatoes (no added salt)
- 480ml / 16floz water
- 2tbsp chili powder
- ½tsp paprika
- ½tsp cumin
- ½tsp ground black pepper
- ½tsp oregano
- 200g / 7.1oz courgette
- 2 celery sticks
- 85g / 3oz frozen peas

Method:
Cook the turkey mince in a pan for 5 minutes, until brown
Chop the garlic and onion and add to the pan. Cook for another 5 minutes, until onion is soft
Mix in the can of kidney beans and diced tomatoes, plus water
Add the spices and herbs
Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes
Add courgette, celery, peas (or other green veg) and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.

Serve with quinoa (45g dry), rice (45g dry) or blended cauliflower (150g).

Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Quinoa or brown rice goes great with the chili. Recently, I’ve discovered the wonders of cauliflower blended up in a food processor. If you don’t want the calories or carbs from rice or quinoa, blended cauliflower is an ideal substitute. Simply blend up 100-150g of cauliflower in a food processor and then microwave for 2 minutes.


Nutritional Information:




















*courgette, also called zucchini. I prefer to use the British-English term instead of the American alternative. If you hear me talking about aubergine, the American-English version is eggplant.

1 comment:

  1. Just tried the cauliflower - good alternative to rice (quick) and the little lad ate it. I probably needed a stronger curry to disguise the fact that it was cauliflower though!

    ReplyDelete