Saturday, December 20, 2014

Chai Tea


I can't start the day without at least two or three cups of tea. I buy boxes of PG Tips in bulk load from the internet and always carry a supply of teabags with me when ever I travel. The key to a good cup of English tea is to using fresh boiling water and good quality (strong) teabags.

Various recipes on the internet suggested adding 10 cardamon pods, gently crushed, or a whole vanilla bean, sliced length ways. I didn't have these ingredients to hand but I did add a little vanilla extract and I also reduced the sugar content. I figured honey or brown sugar can always be added to individual cups when serving if desired.

An additional option to turn this chai tea into the 'adult' variety is to add 30ml/1tbsp bourbon to each warm serving!


Chai Tea
Makes 6 (120ml / 4floz) servings
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients:
- 8 black peppercorns, whole
- 8 cloves, whole
- 56g / 2oz (4-inch piece) fresh ginger, sliced
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 12g / 1tbsp brown sugar
- 2 star anise
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 15ml / 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 960ml / 32floz water
- 4 black tea bags (I use PG Tips)

Method:
In a saucepan, boil all ingredients except tea bags over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add tea bags and let steep for 5 minutes.

Pour mixture through a strainer and let cool to room temperature.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week.

Mix equal parts concentrate with boiling water or warm milk to make hot chai tea, or serve over ice with cold water or milk. ENJOY!

Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be trying this and the mulled wine (http://chocolatespinach.blogspot.co.nz/2014/12/mulled-wine.html) over the festive period.

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the chai mixture to make Chai Rice Pudding:

    1 cup arborio rice
    500ml chai mixture
    500ml milk
    1/2 cup brown sugar (I think this might be too much, it was a bit on the sweet side - if I make this again, then I'll use half the sugar. You can always add sugar to taste when you serve).

    Place the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the rice is just soft. Remove the lid and cook for a further 10-15 minutes or until thick and creamy. Serves 4.

    ReplyDelete