Friday, December 27, 2013

Nuts about Almonds


This blog could've easily been called Almonds and Chickpeas as I love - and eat - these two foods just as much as chocolate and spinach!

Chickpeas are delicious in any dish - cooked, roasted or straight from a can. If you blend them up and add liquid (in the form of oil, water or lemon juice), you'll have hummus!

Whole Almonds
Almonds are also versatile and packed full of nutrients. One of the labels for this blog entry is 'nuts'. However, I am mistaken in thinking that almonds are nuts! They are technically the seed of the fruit of the almond tree.

Think of almonds like other fruits that contain stone-like seeds/ pits - e.g. cherries, peaches, apricots. Instead of eating the fruit and discarding cherry stones and peach pits, the seed of the almond fruit is what we refer to as the almond nut.

Although almonds are a high-fat food, they contain 'good' monounsaturated fats, which have been associated with reducing the risk of heart disease. Almonds also have cholesterol lowering effects, and are a good source of vitamin E, magnesium and potassium - an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. I learnt all this from a very informative website: The World's Healthiest Foods

Whole almonds are great for snacking. I also add them to salads, as well as chop them up and bake into granola bars and chocolate chip cookies.

Almond Milk
I drink almond milk everyday. With exception to tea and coffee, I use it in everything - porridge, pancakes, desserts, smoothies. Even a glass by itself (perhaps with some dark chocolate) is super tasty - light in flavour with a nutty taste and creamy texture. The regular variety contains added sugars, so I always buy unsweetened almond milk. If I'm baking, I may use the unsweetened vanilla type.

A comparison between almond milk and regular 2% semi-skimmed cow's milk (see nutritional info below) shows a glass of almond milk has typically 90 calories less, with less fat, no cholesterol, fewer carbs and 11g fewer sugars. However, cow's milk does have less sodium and more protein (8g compared to only 1g in almond milk).

Almond Butter:
I don't eat peanut butter but was keen to try almond butter. However, instead of paying US$8 for a jar, I thought I'd make my own. After searching for a recipe online, I discovered all that was required were almonds, a food processor and a little bit of time (and patience). I didn't bother to roast the almonds in the oven; I simply blended them into a butter. A little oil may help the process along, but it just takes time.

The end result is worth waiting for. This thick, delicious almond butter tastes great with celery or sliced apple. I also used it in a chocolate chip cookie recipe (made with chickpeas), which called for peanut butter.


Nutritional Information:
Whole Almonds





























Almond Milk, Unsweetened
2% semi-skimmed milk

No comments:

Post a Comment