Sunday, December 29, 2013

Chia or Flaxseed Lemon Bread


I adapted this recipe from a packet of chia seeds. The original recipe can also be found online.
As I used my last two tablespoons of chia to make the lemon bread, the next day I tried it with flaxseed (I've just bought four bags of Bob's Red Mill whole ground flaxseed meal).

I made several substitutions and altered some of the measurements, but both chia and flax lemon breads turned out to be very tasty. I liked the way the chia and flax - when mixed with liquid - replaces the need for eggs. The recipe below is quick and easy, and some grated lemon zest gives the flax bread more lemon flavour.

Whilst making both versions, I compared the nutritional value of chia seeds and ground flaxseed meal. A typical serving (13g / 1tbsp chia / 2tbsp ground flaxseed meal) has exactly the same amount of calories (60), total fats (4.5g), carbs (5g), fibre (5g), sugars (0g), protein (3g), sodium (0mg), cholesterol (0mg). In terms of omega 3s, an essential nutrient and often lacking in modern day diets, chia has 2282mg per serving whilst flaxseed meal contains 2400mg.  To read more about chia and flaxseeds, here's a useful infographic.

When baking, I'm always conscious of the amount and source of fats and sugars. I try to reduce the amount of sugars and use butter substitutes where possible (e.g. avocado, unsweetened apple sauce, non-fat Greek yogurt, coconut oil). I also halved the amount of sugar. In my first batch, I added in 1/4cup stevia in the raw to make up for the halved amount of brown sugar, but in my second batch I didn't bother.

I'm still a little undecided about stevia and other non-calorie sweeteners, both natural and artificial. Whilst researching on the internet about stevia, I came across a website which takes a closer look at sugar and stevia.

Stevia is a plant typically grown in South America. It's sweeter than sugar (its extract is 200 times sweeter) but it doesn't raise blood insulin levels. It is popular as it usually doesn't have any calories. Dextrose is the main ingredient in stevia in the raw. It's derived from genetically engineered corn and has a long complicated manufacturing process, just like erythritol - another ingredient found in natural calorie-free sweeteners.

If the flax lemon bread is not sweet enough with the 1/4cup of brown sugar, a tablespoon of honey could be added to meet the needs of a 'sweet tooth'. Remember, sugar is sugar, no matter what form it comes in - cane, corn syrup, honey, fruit, plants etc.

Chia or Flax Lemon Bread
Makes 6 slices

Ingredients:
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 120ml / 4floz almond Milk, unsweetened
- 28g / 2tbsp chia seeds OR 26g / 4tbsp flaxseed meal
- 45g /1.6oz brown sugar
- 110g / 4oz applesauce, unsweetened
- 100g / 3.5oz oats (I use old fashioned)
- 80g / 3.8oz flour (I use whole wheat)
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp baking soda

Method:

  • Grate the lemon zest and juice. 
  • In a bowl, combine the chia OR flaxseed meal, lemon juice and almond milk. 
  • Let stand for 15 minutes.
  • In a separate bowl, cream together the sugar and applesauce (butter substitute) until smooth.
  • Slowly add the chia OR flax mixture and stir together.
  • Add the dry ingredients: oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and lemon zest.
  • Mix until just combined. 
  • Scoop into a loaf pan or 8x8 baking tray and bake at 175C / 350F for 45 minutes.
  • Cool on a wire rack and cut into slices.


Nutritional Information:

No comments:

Post a Comment