Monday, June 23, 2014

Chocolate Courgette / Zucchini Brownies



FYI: Courgette / Zucchini = same thing!
 

After the success of baking really chocolaty brownies with beets, I wanted to experiment with other vegetables.

I discovered an amazing blog online that has so many healthy dessert recipes. As I never follow recipes, I had to adapt this version and make my own.

The original recipe (Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Brownies) uses coconut flour, which I don't have. I usually only use wheat flour or oat flour. Therefore, I searched online for suitable coconut flour alternatives and discovered that oat flour works well, but other varieties like wheat flour and almond flour aren't ideal. Coconut flour is heavier and more dense than most flours. Recipes that use coconut flour cannot be reproduced exactly with the same proportion of flour substitute, meaning that recipes with substitutes will probably need significantly less liquid or more flour substitute.

With the original recipe, I didn't have any applesauce so I used lighter bake (prune purée) but any fruit puree should be fine. Date puree is simple to make, just add water to the dates, let them soak for 5 minutes and blend to make a puree. The ratio is usually 1:2 (one part dates : two parts water). Obviously I'm mixing weight and volume, but if I use 40g/1.4oz dates, I'll add 80ml/2.6floz water. FYI, 1/3 cup dates is 40g and 1/3 cup water is 80ml.

To make flax egg (ground flaxseed/flaxmeal), the ratio is also 1:2 (one tbsp flaxmeal : two tbsp water).

I often don't have all the listed ingredients for recipes and usually find healthy alternatives when a traditional recipe calls for refined sugar and/or butter. In the original recipe, I didn't add xylitol or sugar, nor did I add stevia extract and salt. I also reduced the amount of oil needed - from 10tbsp to 2tbsp.

A good online conversion tool for converting measurements is here.
This ingredient substitution chart is very useful.

Chocolate Courgette / Zucchini Brownies
Makes 8
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients:
- 80g fruit purée (I used prune purée (lighter bake) or date purée) OR applesauce, unsweetened
- 19g / 3tbsp flaxseed
- 90ml / 6tbsp water
- 40g / 8tbsp cocoa powder, natural unsweetened
- 90g / 3oz oat flour
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 30ml / 2tbsp coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 140g / 5oz courgette, grated
- 40g / 1.4oz dark chocolate, chopped OR chocolate chips

Method:
First make the fruit purée (if using instead of applesauce and not already prepared) and flax-egg (flaxseed mixed with water). Let the flax soak up the water for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, oat flour and baking soda.

Stir in the fruit purée, coconut oil, vanilla extract and flax-egg.
Mix well, then add the grated courgette and chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
Spoon mixture into a baking dish or loaf tin, lined with parchment paper.

Bake in the oven at 175C / 350F for 20-23 minutes.
Remove from oven and let the brownies stand for 15 minutes.

Before cutting into squares, it is best to refrigerate the brownies for another 15 minutes.
Cut into squares. ENJOY!

Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Nutritional Information:



No comments:

Post a Comment