Thursday, June 26, 2014

Chocolate Almond and Cranberry Cups


I wanted to make chocolate bark as solid chocolate topped with a variety of nuts, fruits, pretzels or peppermint looks and tastes delicious! The Martha Stewart picture below is a prime example:

However, my first attempt didn't yield enough chocolate to fill a baking tray and I didn't have suitable molds for any creative shapes. Therefore, I opted for the next best thing - a muffin tin and chocolate cups!

The beauty of chocolate bark, like trail mix, is the opportunity to throw anything into the mix. That said, I try to restrict the amount of toppings I add so that the calorie count per serving isn't horrendous.
The recipe below, like my trail mix, is simple yet very satisfying. I used some dried cranberries and chopped almonds. Next time I may use crushed pretzels, hemp seeds or other dried fruits and nuts. I may also add a little peppermint extract into the chocolate mix as I love mint chocolate!

Unlike traditional chocolate bark recipes that call for a bar of melted chocolate and a variety of toppings, I actually make my own chocolate using three simple ingredients (coconut oil, honey, unsweetened cocoa powder). The result is a natural, healthy alternative to processed chocolate bought from a store - if using cheap, low quality chocolate bars.

The recipe below is quick to make and has similar nutritional values to store bought alternatives - see below for comparisons. However, with only five ingredients, plus the benefits of coconut oil and limited sugars from the honey and cranberries (no sugar in cocoa powder), I'll be experimenting with this recipe in the future.

Chocolate Almond and Cranberry Cups
Makes 5 cups
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients:
- 60ml / 4tbsp coconut oil
- 60g / 3tbsp honey
- 30g / 6tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 28g / 1oz almonds, chopped
- 20g / 0.7oz dried cranberries

Method:
Combine the coconut oil, honey and cocoa powder in a bowl and stir thoroughly.

Pour into muffin cases, or onto parchment paper or molds.

Place in the freezer for five minutes to allow the chocolate to set a little.
Add the almonds and cranberries, or toppings of choice.

Refrigerate for 30 minutes or freeze for 10-15 minutes. ENJOY!


Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Nutritional Information:




No comments:

Post a Comment