Monday, October 27, 2014

Kale Waldorf Salad



A traditional Waldorf Salad comprises lettuce, apples, celery, walnuts, with a mayonnaise dressing. It was first created just before the turn of the 20th century at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City. Variations to the salad include adding chicken, turkey, grapes or dried fruit such as cranberries or raisins.

My version uses kale instead of regular lettuce and a yogurt dressing instead of mayo. I also added in some canned chicken for extra protein. Having apple in the salad gave me a chance to use my spiralizer! Of course, regular chopped/sliced apple can be used in the salad but having only previously spiralized vegetables, I wanted to get creative and see how apple turned out. After watching a video online and getting inspiration from the video to make a Waldorf salad, I set to work spiralizing my apple.


The recipe below contains more calories than my regular salads I eat everyday. There are natural sugars from the apple and healthy fats from the walnuts. Instead of using mayonnaise for the dressing, I mixed a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into some nonfat Greek yogurt and added a teaspoon of mustard.

Kale Waldorf Salad
Makes 1
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients
- 40g / 1.4oz kale
- 100g 4oz apple, chopped or spiralized 
- 30g / 1oz walnuts, chopped
- 55g / 2oz / 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 55g / 2oz chicken breast, canned or cooked
- 55g / 2oz nonfat Greek yogurt
- 5g / 1tsp mustard, whole grain
- 15ml / 1tbsp apple cider vinegar

Method
In a bowl combine the kale and apple, walnuts, celery and chicken breast.

Make the dressing by whisking together the yogurt, mustard and vinegar. 
When ready to serve, pour dressing over the salad. ENJOY!

Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Nutritional Information:


No comments:

Post a Comment