Monday, October 13, 2014

Chocolate Tofu Pie with Cashew Crust


After recently posting about my Chocolate Tofu Mousse recipe, I wanted to create a pie using the cashews. The tofu mouse is delicious simply eaten by itself, but similar to my Chocolate Pudding recipe, nuts can be used to make a natural and healthy pie crust (instead of using store-bought cookies and butter). I love my previous recipe which uses almonds: Chocolate Pie with Almond Crust!

Usually when I use cashews, I simply measure out the required amount - straight from the container - and add them to my recipe. However, on this occasion, I thought I'd try soaking them first as I've read many articles on the internet about soaking nuts - "essential for proper digestion".
Sites include:
Benefits of Soaking Nuts and Seeds
How to Soak Nuts
Is Soaking Nuts Necessary & How To Properly Soak Your Organic Raw Nuts!

There is a lot of information and various instructions regarding why and how to soak and dry all nuts, including cashews. The general consensus is that the harder the nut, the longer it takes for them to soak. The time required is anywhere between 2 to 6 hours. Anything over 6 to 7 hours will turn the cashews bitter. However other sources say you should soak overnight!

It seems common to refresh the water every 3 to 4 hours to get rid of all the enzymes. Some sources say the water should be salted - to help neutralize the enzymes.

When drying nuts, a dehydrator is popular. Drying nuts in the oven can also be done, with the emphasis being on a low temperature (100F) setting. If nuts are stored without fully drying they can go slimy and moldy. I don't own a dehydrator so I set my oven to the lowest temp setting (170F), put the cashews in the oven during the preheat phase, dried for 10 minutes and then turned off the oven but left the cashews inside for another 10 mins until cool.

The cashews never really dried out completely. However, as I was blending these nuts with other ingredients, I wasn't too concerned.

Cashew Pie Crust
Makes 4 pie crusts
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients:
- 85g / 3oz cashews
- 80g / 3oz oat flour
- 20g / 1tbsp honey
- 30ml / 2tbsp water

Method:
In a food processor, grind the cashews, then add the oat flour, honey and water.

Blend to combine into a dough, adding another tbsp water if needed.

Spoon into dishes. Flatten and smooth the surface.

Spoon the tofu mousse mixture on top of the cashew crust.

Chill in the fridge. ENJOY!

Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Nutritional Information:
Cashew pie base NI

Chocolate Tofu Mousse NI

No comments:

Post a Comment