Friday, June 6, 2014

Porridge Pancakes


Every day I eat porridge, also called oatmeal. I occasionally eat two bowls a day: breakfast and supper. It's a perfect way to start the day as oats are commonly known as being healthy and nutritious. Complex carbohydrates are also known to aid sleep so a small bowl in the evenings ensures I get a good night's rest. Sometimes I go to bed, thinking about breakfast and my morning bowl of porridge. I usually eat porridge in two different ways: oats, almond milk, flaxseed, protein powder OR oats, hot water, egg, hemp seeds, honey. When it comes to food and my daily diet, I'm a creature of habit!

I often add strawberries, chopped or grate apple, or sliced banana. Apples and bananas have more sugar than strawberries so I'm cautious to add these to my porridge, especially if I'm adding a little honey. However, a banana is perfect if I know I'm going to need some extra energy and won't be able to snack mid-morning.
Porridge with strawberries, almonds, egg hemp banana, apple
The other night I dreamt about pancakes and so I used my porridge ingredients and made pancakes, hence the name 'porridge pancakes'! These pancakes are slightly different to the regular oats pancakes I make on weekends - similar ingredients but I don't add flour. As a result, the porridge pancakes are less dense and slightly more moist. I use a whole banana for one batch of 4 pancakes whereas the previous versions use one banana for one batch of 6-8 pancakes. Therefore, there's more sugars (from the bananas) in each serving. The optional protein powder I eat with my porridge ensures I get an additional 9g protein.

Porridge, with fruit and protein (either from powder of an egg) keeps me feeling full for a good few hours. I also have to thank the 10g fiber from my breakfast for this feeling!

Porridge Pancakes
Makes 4 pancakes
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients:
- 50g / 1.8oz oats
- 6g / 1tbsp flaxseed
- 60ml / 2floz almond milk, unsweetened (or water)
- 1 banana
- 12g / 1tbsp protein powder (optional)
- 1/4tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 50g / 2-3 strawberries, to serve (optional)

Method:
It's best to let the oats and flaxseed soak in the almond milk (or water) for 5-10 minutes first, so the batter isn't too runny.
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.

Pour mixture into pan and cook for a few minutes on either side.

Serve with a spoonful of non-fat Greek yogurt, strawberries, or chocolate nutella spread. ENJOY!

Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Egg Porridge Pancakes
Makes 4 pancakes
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients:
- 50g / 1.8oz oats
- 10g / 1tbsp hemp
- 1 egg
- 1 banana
- 50g / 2-3 strawberries, to serve (optional)
- 10g / 1/2tbsp honey, to serve (optional)

Method:
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.

Pour mixture into pan and cook for a few minutes on either side.

Serve with half tablespoon of honey, or 2-3 strawberries. ENJOY!

Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Nutritional Information:





No comments:

Post a Comment