Thursday, March 6, 2014

Miso Soup


Traditionally miso soup consists of a stock called dashi (simple broth or fish stock) and softened miso paste (fermented soybeans). It is eaten with a few simple ingredients like tofu, negi (spring onion), wakame seaweed, mushrooms, potatoes, shrimp, fish, or daikon (white radish).

It is customary in Japan for ingredients to reflect the seasons and to provide contrasts of colour, texture, and flavour. For example, negi and tofu, a strongly flavoured ingredient mixed with a delicately flavored ingredient, are often combined. Ingredients that float such as wakame seaweed, and ingredients that sink such as potatoes, are also combined.

At my local supermarket, I found Miso and Easy which I use to make miso soup. I try to limit my intake of miso as it's a high-sodium food, although the nutritional values of Miso and Easy are very reasonable - similar to a serving of light soy sauce. A bowl of soup is quite filling and can be made in a few minutes. I tend to limit my ingredients to just a couple - tofu, courgette, mushrooms, spring onion, even kale! Nutritional Information for various combinations is below.

Simply chop the vegetables, microwave or steam for a few minutes. Mix 2tsp miso paste with a cup of boiling water and add the veg. ENJOY!

Nutritional Information:

No comments:

Post a Comment