Friday, June 26, 2015

Red Velvet Brownies



Very similar to my Beetroot Brownies, this Red Velvet version uses black beans as well as beetroot. I used maple syrup in this recipe but I usually use honey as my liquid sweetener of choice. If using honey, I add a table spoon of water as honey is a little thicker than maple syrup.

Black beans are great in sweet treats - try my Black Almond Fudge for starters.

Red Velvet Brownies
Makes 12

Ingredients:
- 120g / 4oz oat flour
- 20g / 4tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 60ml / 4tbsp coconut oil
- 60ml / 4tbsp maple syrup OR 60g / 3tbsp honey plus 1tbsp water
- 80ml / 3floz almond milk, unsweetened
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 140g/ 5oz black beans, (I use no salt added)
- 240g / 8.5oz beetroot (I use no salt added canned beets)
- 40g / 1.4oz dark chocolate, chopped OR chocolate chips

Method:
  • In a mixing bowl, combine the oat flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
  • Add the oil, maple syrup or honey, milk and vanilla.
  • Using a food processor, blend together the black beans and beets and then add to the mixing bowl.
  • Finally stir in the chopped chocolate / chocolate chips.
  • Pour batter into a 8x8 baking tray lined with parchment.
  • Bake in the oven at 190C / 375F for 25-30 minutes. 
  • Allow to cool completely before slicing. ENJOY!


Nutritional Information:

No comments:

Post a Comment