Saturday, November 7, 2015

Chocolate Orange Squares


These raw chocolate orange squares are super tasty.  I couldn't help taking photos of this dessert as I enjoyed every mouthful! That being said, they are very high in sugar - something which I try to avoid. It's hard to keep sugar levels low when cooking/baking with fruit (dates and oranges) and then adding in extra sugars (agave nectar or honey). If I make these squares again, I may reduce the amount of liquid sweetener to by 1-2 tablespoons to see if there's a big difference in taste.


These squares really remind me of Terry's Chocolate Orange. I haven't eaten a chocolate orange in years. I think my recipe below is darker and richer than the milk chocolate oranges first made in 1932 by Terry's of York.

Chocolate Orange Squares
Makes 9

Ingredients:
Base:
- 120g / 4.5oz oats
- 120g / 4.5oz flour (I use whole wheat)
- 40g / 8tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/8tsp salt
- 120g / 4.5oz dates, pitted, soaked and drained (reserving 60ml)
- 80g / 4tbsp agave nectar OR honey
- 1-2 orange zested and juiced
- 60ml / 4tbsp squeezed orange juice
- 60ml / 4tbsp date water

Frosting:
- 96g / 6tbsp almond butter, warmed
- 5g / 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 20g / 1tbsp agave nectar
- 90ml / 3floz - squeezed orange juice

Method:
  • For the chocolate orange base, mix all the ingredients in a food processor, adding the oats, flour, cocoa powder and salt first, then adding in the dates, agave nectar, orange zest, juice and date liquid.
  • Spread the mixture into a brownie tin and press down to compact.
  • Place in the fridge and then make the frosting by stirring all the ingredients together.
  • Spread the frosting over the base mixture and leave it to set in the fridge for about 2-3 hours. 
  • Cut into 9 squares. ENJOY!

Nutritional Information:


No comments:

Post a Comment