Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Banana Oat Energy Bars


If I have ripe bananas that need eating, I usually make a banana smoothie or freeze them and make ice cream. Another great way to use ripe bananas is to make energy bars. When mixed with oats, nuts and dried fruit, a simple all-natural snack is created!

A large banana (approx. 130g) typically has 120 calories, 30g carbohydrates, 3.5g fiber and less than 0.5g fat. Half of the carbohydrates are sugars so they are naturally sweet.

In the recipe below I used a mixture of dried dates and cranberries, and a mixture of chopped almonds and cashews. Any dried fruits and nuts can be used (e.g. raisins, apricots, walnuts, pecans etc.) A serving of dried dates or cranberries (40g) have the same nutritional values so I tend to use whatever I have in the pantry. The same applies for almonds and cashews. A serving (28g) of these two nuts also have the same nutritional values so I can use whatever I like without being too concerned about what/how much I'm putting into my mouth!

I have been experimenting with energy bar recipes. Another great recipe that uses oats, dried fruits and nuts is also on my blog: Oatmeal Energy Bars

Banana Oat Energy Bars
Makes 8
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients:
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 160g / 5.7oz oats
- 40g / 1.4oz dried fruit (pitted and chopped dates and/or dried cranberries)
- 28g / 1oz nuts (chopped almonds and/or cashews)
- sprinkle cinnamon (optional)

Method:
In a bowl, mash the bananas until no large chunks remain.

Stir in the vanilla extract, oats, dried fruit and chopped nuts.
Mix thoroughly, using hands if desired to combine all ingredients.
Pour into a loaf tin or an 8x8in baking pan. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top.

Bake in the oven at 175C / 350F for 30 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack and then cut into 8 bars/squares. ENJOY!

Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Nutritional Information:


No comments:

Post a Comment