Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Cashew and Date Bars



These simple two ingredient snack bars are great for energy on the go. As much as I love chocolate, when it's 100F outside and I'm riding my bike, the last thing I need is a chocolate snack bar. I really like the cashew cookie Lara Bar. It's just cashews and dates blended together to form a sticky and delicious paste! Therefore, I decided to make my own!

An all natural energy boost with just over 200 calories, 12.5g fats, 5g protein, 19g sugars, no cholesterol and very little sodium.

I used dry roasted cashews as the smell and taste is heavenly. I usually buy a 5lb bag of whole raw cashews and roast half of them. Simply lay the nuts on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 10 minutes at 175C / 350F, being careful not to burn. Allow the cashews to cool completely before storing them in an air tight container.

Cashew and Date Bars
Makes 8

Ingredients:
- 200g / 7oz dates, pitted
- 240ml / 8floz hot water
- 200g / 7oz cashews, dry roasted

Method:
  • Soak the dates in 1cup boiling water (240ml) to soften for 15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, blend the cashews in a food processor until finely chopped - not ground completely.
  • Transfer the chopped nuts to a bowl.
  • Drain the dates, and then blend in a food processor, until a smooth paste is formed.
  • Thoroughly combine the date paste and cashews and then spoon into baking pan.
  • Freeze for a few hours and then slice into bars. Store in the fridge. ENJOY!


Nutritional Information:

No comments:

Post a Comment