Sunday, July 19, 2015

Tofu Cherry Yogurt


It's clearly cherry season as I have several bags and have been trying to get creative with what I can do with them all. Previous recipes from this blog featuring cherries include:
Cherry and Rice Walnut Salad
Infused Spirits - Vodka
Cottage Cheese Cheesecakes - Lemon & Cherry

As the weather has been hot, I've really enjoyed eating the cherry and rice walnut salad. It also tastes great with Royal Black Quinoa instead of rice - extra nutty and crunchy! This year, in addition to baking cherries with quinoa, and making muffins, I blended them with soft tofu to make a delicious yogurt.

After eating Greek yogurt, I found on several occasions that I tend to break out in spots around my chin. Therefore, I have been trying non-dairy alternatives such as uncultured unsweetened coconut milk, as well as almond yogurt. This recipe below uses soft tofu and fresh cherries for a sweet and creamy yogurt version that still has protein - just like regular yogurt! It's also gluten free, low fat and low sodium - just tofu and fruit blended together. Although cherries are sweet, traditional yogurts with fruit are usually very high in sugar content, anywhere between 12-20g. A serving of tofu yogurt only has 6g.

I like to stir some of the yogurt into cereal (oats, grape nuts, shredded wheat), or add a few spoonfuls to a smoothie.

Tofu Cherry Yogurt
Makes 8 (70g per serving)

Ingredients:
- 225g / 8oz cherries
- 170g / 6oz tofu, soft
- 60g / 2oz pineapple chunks

Method:

  • Pit and chop the cherries.
  • Purée all ingredients together in a food processor until smooth.
  • Pour into an airtight container and refrigerate. 
  • Stir before serving. ENJOY!



Nutritional Information:


No comments:

Post a Comment