Saturday, July 4, 2015

Lemon Cilantro Scones



I originally saw this recipe on the Top with Cinnamon blog. I've made scones before but I was intrigued to see how the flavours of lemon and cilantro tasted.

I didn't bother to peel the lemon, nor did I include yogurt. Instead I simply used a zester and added buttermilk to replace the yogurt. I thought it would be easier and quicker to mix the lemon zest and sugar with the rest of the dry ingredients. However, I do think it's worth taking the time to heat the sugar and make a lemony syrup. In fact, the last time I combined lemon, sugar and water I made Limoncello.

Other lemon recipes on my blog include:
Chia or Flaxseed Lemon Bread
Lemon Yogurt Dressing

Lemon Cilantro Scones
Makes 8

Ingredients:
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 24g / 2tbsp sugar, white granulated
- 1tbsp water
- 120g / 4.5oz flour
- 40g / 1.5oz oats
- 1.5tsp baking powder
- small handful of coriander leaves (cilantro), finely chopped
- 56g / 2oz butter, unsalted, cold and cubed
- 60ml / 4tbsp buttermilk (60ml / 4tbsp almond milk and 5ml / 1tsp lemon juice)
- 1 egg, beaten

Method:

  • In a pan, heat the lemon zest, juice, sugar, and water until sugar has dissolved and mixture has thickened, about 5-7 minutes. 
  • Pour into a bowl and leave to cool.
  • In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oats and baking powder. 
  • Rub in the butter cubes until like bread crumbs. 
  • Add the cilantro. 
  • Chill in the fridge for a few minutes.
  • In the bowl with the lemon mixture, add the buttermilk and egg. Mix to combine. 
  • Pour the wet mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients and stir together.
  • Place the dough in the freezer for 10 minutes and heat the oven to 175C / 350F.
  • Spoon out 8 round circles of chilled dough onto a lined baking tray and gently press down to form scones.
  • Brush with a little milk (if desired) and bake for 25 minutes until golden.
  • Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving. ENJOY!


Nutritional Information:

No comments:

Post a Comment