Thursday, July 23, 2015

Quinoa Cherry Cake


These fruit cakes are similar to my Cinnamon Quinoa Bars. I simply added some chopped fruit and replaced one egg for a vegan alternative - aquafaba, aka chickpea liquid/brine. I was tempted to see how the mixture would  bind together with one less regular egg. Turns out, it didn't make a difference. I'm not sure if I'd replace all eggs with aquafaba as I like the protein source. However, it did reduce the cholesterol in each serving.

These are a great on-the-go snack or a pre/post-workout snack. They freeze quite well and don't take long to defrost so it's easy to make a batch whenever I have some spare fruit or extra quinoa.

Strawberries, used in the picture below, cherries, and plums all work well with the quinoa and cinnamon.


Cinnamon Quinoa Bars
Makes 6 large or 12 small bars

Ingredients:
- 225g / 8oz cherries
- 135g /5oz quinoa, dry
- 180ml / 6floz boiling water
- 180ml / 6floz almond milk, unsweetened
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 45ml / 3tbsp aquafaba / bean liquid (I use chickpea liquid)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5ml / 1tsp vanilla extract

Method:

  • Pit and quarter the cherries.
  • cook the quinoa in the milk and boiling water, until the liquid has been absorbed - about 15 minutes.
  • Once cooked, allow to cool for 5 minutes and then mix in the cinnamon and cherries.
  • Add 3tbsp aquafaba to the beaten eggs and stir to combine.
  • Pour into an 8x8 tin and bake at 170C / 350F for 45 minutes.
  • Cool on a wire rack before slicing. ENJOY!



Nutritional Information:


No comments:

Post a Comment