Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Margarita Chicken with Avocado and Mango Salsa


I think mangos are becoming the perfect summer fruit - so far I've made sorbet, ice pops and now this salsa.
I have another recipe for mango chicken stir fry which I plan to make in the near future. However, I'll happily make this dish several more times throughout the summer as it's delicious hot or cold.

I ate it with freshly cooked rice and grilled chicken straight from the BBQ. Sadly there weren't any left overs but I think it'll be perfect the following day mixed together and eaten cold - a great summer salad alternative. The salsa is so colourful and has a great texture and taste combination: buttery avocados, smooth and sweet mangos, crunchy red peppers, fresh tomatoes, citrusy limes and aromatic cilantro.

I don't have any tequila at present so I gladly used margarita mix to marinade the chicken. Perhaps in the future, if I want to drink a margarita, I'll hold back on the margarita mix and simply marinade the chicken in lime or lemon juice.

I always like to cut the chicken breast into pieces and skewer them instead of grilling whole breasts on the BBQ. I think smaller pieces of meat absorb more of the marinade, but this is just my preference.

Margarita Chicken with Avocado and Mango Salsa
Makes 4
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Ingredients:
Marinade
- 530g / 19oz chicken breast, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 120ml / 4floz margarita mix (I use skinny/light variety), non-alcoholic
- 30ml / 2tbsp lime juice
- 1/2tbsp red pepper flakes
- 5g / 1/4cup cilantro, fresh

Salsa
- 140g / 5oz avocado, chopped
- 185g / 6.5oz mango, chopped
- 140g / 5oz tomato, chopped
- 185g / 6.5oz red pepper, chopped
- 5g / 1/4cup cilantro, fresh and chopped
- 30ml / 2tbsp lime juice
- 15ml / 1tbsp olive oil


Method:
Place the chopped chicken breast in a bowl and add the margarita mix, lime juice, red pepper flakes and cilantro. Mix gently and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.

Once marinated, place the chicken pieces on to skewers and grill for approx. 20 minutes until cooked.

Whilst the chicken is cooking, make the salsa by adding the avocado, mango, tomato, red pepper, cilantro to a bowl and stirring in the lime juice and oil.

Serve with rice. ENJOY!
Click HERE for a printable recipe card.

Nutritional Information:



No comments:

Post a Comment